Wednesday 17 May 2017

Malvern Quilts UK 2017 - Referendum Quilt

'Referendum' quilt by Frances Meredith
This is one of my own quilts which you will see on display at Quilts UK, Malvern 2017.  I have called it 'Referendum' and it is LW09 in the Large Wallhanging category.  It had been sitting in my cupboard for quite a while, but I did have a plan of how I wanted to quilt it in my head, but it never managed to elbow its way through the customer quilts I was doing at the time. 
Last year, I stayed up the whole night to watch the results of the Referendum here in the UK.   In the week that followed they managed to cram a lot in and it was difficult to pull myself away from the unfolding political events being reported on the television and to concentrate on much else.  As they say 'a week is a long time in politics'.  In the end I decided that this quilt was the perfect antidote to it all.    
'Camilla Star Diamond' by Donna Klein
'Camilla Star Diamond' by Donna Klein
This quilt uses one diamond block pattern, called Camilla Star designed by Donna Klein.  The diagonal lines were stitched in the ditch and each diamond was placed individually, rather than using the computer to do an edge to edge pattern all over the quilt.  I chose a fairly plain backing fabric so that the quilting pattern shows up nicely on the front and the back. I think it comes under the category 'semi-custom' work.  I hope that by showing different techniques on my own quilts my customers can see the potential of what we can be achieved when they bring their quilts to Fabadashery Long Arm quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment